Friday, July 15, 2016

Install ROS With Kinect on Raspberry Pi 3

NOTE before starting: I have not done a top to bottom run of this yet. I will be doing it soon though to double check. There may be some things that I left out because I am not a perfect note taker. Just waiting for another SD card so I can do the install without wasting my current progress.

Install Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial on the Pi

Ok, lets do this. First we need to download the image for the Pi. I am betting this will work with the Pi 2 as well but I only tested it on the Pi 3.Here are some links to some of the Pi images:
I used an Ubuntu Laptop to format the SD card and write the image to it. But here is the tutorials from the Raspberry Pi foundation:
Now boot up the raspberry pi. If you used the image from Ryan Finnie, the username/password is ubuntu. You will be prompted to change the password so remember what you change it to.

Install ROS (Kinetic Distro)

We have some updates first


Then install ROS and setup your work space


Install Some ROS Packages

ROS has some packages that you can now install via apt. Here are the ones that I installed to work with the kinect and a few others that are useful as well

I had to reboot after this as well.

Using Your Kinect With ROS

Now we can use ROS. If you are confused on how ROS works, the wiki is great at explaining things but is a little more in depth. I am bad at explaining things but can explain it in a dumb easy to understand way since that is the way I think. I'll put a link to a future post here. I have put together a list of handy commands here to get the kinect up and running in ROS

Here is how you start the core ROS process which will be the "master"

I like to run the process in the foreground and just open a new terminal but that is up to you. In a new terminal you can start the node for the kinect by running

ROS should be publishing topics now. A topic is like a data object or an endpoint of an API. You can see the topics by running You will notice that one of the endpoints is /camera/rgb/image_color. We can look at the RGB image with image_view like so
That should bring up a small window in which you can see what your Kinect sees in RGB. Now you can mess with it and see some other cool stuff as well since the Kinect node publishes several different data types.

I will be doing these in the following in the future:
  • Dumb ROS Explaination
  • Master/Slave ROS setup
  • Recording Data published on ROS
  • Visualizing Data in RViz
  • Using python to access ROS programmatically

Bill of Materials

Works Cited

2 comments: